The U.S. Department of Energy developed this comprehensive resource to assist local governments and stakeholders in building sustainable local solar markets. The guide introduces a range of policy and program options that have been successfully field tested in cities around the country. The guide describes each policy or program, explains the benefits, provides implementation tips and options, and includes short examples from local governments across the U.S.
Each section of the guide is divided into topic areas – typically within the jurisdiction of local governments – that have been integral to creating and supporting local solar markets.
1. Organizing and Strategizing Your Effort
2. Accelerating Demand through Policies and Incentives
3. Updating and Enforcing Local Rules and Regulations
4. Engaging Your Utility
5. Creating Jobs and Supporting Economic Development
6. Accelerating Demand through Outreach and Education
7. Leading by Example with Installations on Government Properties
Download Solar Powering Your Community: A Guide for Local Governments