Licensing (general)

  • A contractor’s license is required:  a C-46 Solar Contractors License or “A” General Contractors or“B” General Building Contractors License
  • C-46 is the Solar Contractor licensing classification for solar (PV and thermal) installations and maintenance.  The C-46 Solar Contractor license covers active solar water and space heating systems, solar pool heating systems, and photovoltaic systems
  • Education/testing requirements:  include written examinations (Law and Business as well as the trade examination) and 4 years experience; (note:  technical training, apprenticeship training and education may be credited instead of experience, however at least 1 year needs to be practical experience.  See CSLB guidelines for maximum allowable credit from training)

Licensing (PV and Solar thermal): California offers the following specialty classifications:

  • C-4. Boiler, Hot Water Heating and Steam Fitting (for solar thermal systems)
  • C-10. Electrical (for photovoltaics only)
  • C-20. Warm-Air, HVAC (HVAC systems that utilize solar energy)
  • C-36. Plumbing (solar thermal systems)
  • C-53. Swimming Pool (for solar pool heating)

Electric code: All jurisdictions in the State of California, are required to adopt and enforce the following codes:

  • 2007 California Building Code (Incorporates by adoption and reprints the 2006 International Building Code with California amendments)
  • 2007 California Fire Code (Incorporates by adoption and reprints the 2006 International Fire Code with California amendments)

Reciprocity: Arizona, Nevada (C-37), and Utah

Permitting notes: Permitting requirements vary by City – check local rules and regulations

Resource(s):  California Contractors State Licensing Board




For the next 72 hours, you can download any IREC report without having to fill out this form again!

This feature requires the use of cookies in your browser. Check your browser settings if you experience any problems.