Licensing (General)
Colorado issues licenses for electricians and plumbers at the state level. Colorado does not issue a contractor’s license specific to solar at the state level.  However, there are local solar specific requirements in some counties (such as El Paso County).  All contractors should check with the authority having jurisdiction for solar specific requirements.

Licensing (PV)
All work performed on the AC side of the inverter must be done by an electrical contractor who employs a licensed journeyman electrician or a licensed residential wireman who will do the work.

Electric code: 2011 NEC (no amendments)

Licensing body: State Electrical Board

Reciprocity: Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming


  1. Department of Regulatory Agencies
  2. Colorado Electrical Board

For the next 72 hours, you can download any IREC report without having to fill out this form again!

This feature requires the use of cookies in your browser. Check your browser settings if you experience any problems.