Licensing (PV)

  • A contractor (employer) must have a Home Improvement Contractors (HIC) license as well as PV-1 or E-1 license and must be listed with the Connecticut Clean Energy Fund (for rebate eligibility)
  • A PV installer must have a PV-1 license to perform installations or an E-1 master electrician’s license for electrical work; or the installer must have an E-2 electrician’s license or a PV-2 license and be in the employ of a licensed electrical contractor
  • An employee of any company installing PV systems must have PV-1, PV-2, E-1, or E-2 license or be an apprentice to  one of the licenses and working under their direct supervision
  • An employee of a licensed contractor may do hoisting, placing and attachment of modules without a license
  • The Connecticut Clean Energy Fund (CCEF) requires all approved eligible PV contractors to have at least one permanent employee successfully complete and pass the NABCEP entry level PV exam

Licensing (Solar Thermal)

  • ST-1 Solar Thermal Contractor license: may perform work only on solar thermal systems; requires 2 years experience as a solar journeyperson or equivalent experience and training.  The licensing exam covers Business & Law (licensing, estimating and bidding, lien law, financial management, tax laws, labor laws, project management, contractors, business organization, risk management, environmental safety) and Solar Thermal Installation (piping, system design, pumps and storage systems, collectors, system valves and controls, safety)
  • ST-2 Solar Thermal Journeyperson license: may perform work only on solar thermal systems, but only while in the employ of a contractor licensed for such work; requires completion of an apprenticeship program which includes instruction in solar thermal work or equivalent experience and training.  The licensing exam topics are the same as for the ST-1 license
  • Solar Thermal Apprentice permit: for the performance of solar-thermal work for the purpose of training. Such work may be performed only under the supervision of a licensed solar thermal contractor or journeyman. Any apprenticeship program established to provide education and training for those seeking licensure for plumbing and piping work or for heating, piping and cooling work must provide all people entering the program with education and training in solar thermal work
  • In October 2009, a new law authorized the Dept of Consumer Protection to issue a solar thermal work “certificate” to any person who holds a Plumbing & Piping License (P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4), or Heating, Piping & Cooling License (S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4) license (issued by the Department) as long as that person has also completed an approved solar thermal installation training course and has passed an approved solar thermal work exam

Licensing body: The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) is authorized to issue licenses for solar-thermal work, solar-electric work and wind-electric work.

Electric code: NEC 2005 edition

Reciprocity: None


  1. State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
  2. Approved Solar Thermal Education Provider List

For the next 72 hours, you can download any IREC report without having to fill out this form again!

This feature requires the use of cookies in your browser. Check your browser settings if you experience any problems.