New Hampshire

Licensing (PV)

  • A master electrician’s license is required, although a journeyman in the employment of a master electrician could perform the installation but the master is ultimately responsible.  The master electrician is responsible for the entire installation
  • The Board issues Master and Journeyman electrician’s licenses and apprentice ID cards
    • Education/experience:
      • To qualify for the master’s licensing exam you must work as a New Hampshire-licensed journeyman for at least one year
      • To qualify for the journeyman’s licensing exam you need 8,000 hours of work experience and an Associate Degree in Electricity (or Board-approved equivalent). You can use your schooling for up to one year of the work experience requirement
      • To qualify for an apprentice electrician identification card you need to register as an apprentice with the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training of the U.S. Department of Labor or a state apprenticeship agency. The Board may accept out-of-state work experience and education for any of these requirements

Licensing (Solar thermal)
A plumbing license is not required for persons engaged in the installation of any solar heating, cooling, air conditioning or domestic water heating systems

Reciprocity: Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine. NH reciprocates with MA, ME and VT for the journeyman and master licenses and with Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming under the Multi-State Electrical Reciprocal Licensing Group agreement for the journeyman license only.


  1. Bureau of Building Safety & Construction 

For the next 72 hours, you can download any IREC report without having to fill out this form again!

This feature requires the use of cookies in your browser. Check your browser settings if you experience any problems.