Licensing (PV)
If unique additional building loads are created by the addition of a solar heating system on a commercial building, which would include the movement or use of water, or the addition of weighted assemblies, building plans may be required to be submitted for review by the Division of Safety & Buildings or a certified municipality under the International Building Code. Additionally, general information on the installation of solar systems is required to be addressed under the adopted edition of the International Mechanical Code (IMC) Chapter 14.  Such installations may require plan submittal.  Review commercial building plan submittal requirements as addressed under Comm 61.30 at http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/code/comm/comm060.html.

You can ascertain the current adopted edition of the ICC codes under Comm 61.05 at the same web address as listed above.

The addition of such systems to a 1 or 2 dwelling residential building would require that the Wisconsin Uniform Dwelling Code (UDC) Comm Chapters 20-25 be applied.  The UDC may be reviewed at:

Comm 71, a voluntary code, addresses Solar Energy Systems. The purpose is to establish statewide standards for solar energy systems which do not impede the development of innovative systems but which:

  • Promote accurate consumer evaluation of solar energy systems
  • Conform, where feasible, with national performance standards promulgated or recognized by the federal government for solar energy systems
  • Promote the production, marketing and installation of solar energy systems

Comm 71 may be reviewed at: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/code/comm/comm071

Licensing (Solar thermal)
If the proposed solar system should involve the installation of heating ventilation or air conditioning (HVAC), contractors in Wisconsin involved in the installing or servicing of heating ventilating or air conditioning equipment are required to hold an HVAC contractors license unless an exception listed exception under Comm 5.70 is met.

If the proposed solar system should involve potable water, a person with a master plumber license would need to have oversight or be part of the work associated with the potable portion of the installation. The requirements for such licenses are addressed under Comm 5.90.

Comm 5 addresses licenses, certification and registrations as issued by the State of Wisconsin, and may reviewed at  http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/code/comm/comm005.html.

Local municipalities may adopt requirements that are more restrictive than the State of Wisconsin, as allowed by State Statute. Those proposing to perform work in specific municipality are encouraged to contact that municipality for the actions required to be taken per the local rules.

Reciprocity: None



For the next 72 hours, you can download any IREC report without having to fill out this form again!

This feature requires the use of cookies in your browser. Check your browser settings if you experience any problems.